These rosacea skin care tips from dermatologist Dr. Todd Minars called “Face Savers” are aimed at controlling rosacea outbreaks and reducing their severity.
They include the following:
- Clean your face gently no more than twice a day with Cetaphil cleanser or the medicated cleanser.
- Avoid hot showers, baths or saunas.
- Stay cool on hot or humid days (air conditioning and sip ice water).
- Avoid the sun.
- Switch from blades to an electric razor.
- Find substitutes for hot spices such as pepper, cayenne and paprika. Instead of chili powder, try a 2-to-1 blend of cumin and oregano.
- Try taking an antihistamine (e.g. Benadryl or Claritin) two hours before eating cheese, vinegar, processed beef or pork, or canned fish. It may also help to take an aspirin before meals high in niacin (meat, eggs, dairy)
- Minimize stress with proper sleep, deep breathing exercises, visualization, stretching, or yoga.
- Use transparent makeup with a green tint to help hide redness.
- Ask (your doctor’s) aesthetician about skin care products that will not aggravate your condition.